BMW 5 series2004-10 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The BMW 5 series was redesigned for the 2004 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the roof rail.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, chest, and left leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible. Head acceleration from the roof rail hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained very well.
- Smeared pink and red greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the roof rail during rebound. Head acceleration from this hit was low.
- Forces on the lower right leg were high enough to indicate the possibility of injury.
- Side airbags: front and rear head tubular airbags and front door-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear door-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Programmable daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 BMW 545i 4-door
- Class: Large luxury car
- Weight: 3,832 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head tubular airbags and front door-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 114 in.
- Length: 191 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 4.4 L V8
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 26 mpg highway