Ford Freestar2004-07 models
results also apply to: 2004-06 Mercury Monterey
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Freestar was introduced in the 2004 model year as a replacement for the Ford Windstar. The Mercury Monterey was introduced in the same year and discontinued after the 2006 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, it rebounded into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck, chest, and both legs indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the steering wheel through the airbag, indicating that head injuries would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit only the head restraint, as indicated by smeared greasepaint.
- Forces on the legs and feet were low, indicating that significant injury was unlikely.
- Side airbags: head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional in Freestar and 2004-05 Monterey, standard in 2006 Monterey)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Ford Freestar S
- Class: Minivan
- Weight: 4,251 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 121 in.
- Length: 201 in.
- Width: 77 in.
- Engine: 3.9 L V6
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 23 mpg highway