Toyota Sienna2004-10 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Sienna was redesigned for the 2004 model year.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of the Sienna in two 40 mph frontal offset crash tests into deformable barriers. Two tests were conducted because a major fuel leak occurred in the first test. Toyota identified a defect in the manufacturing process of the plastic fuel tank and recalled the affected models. A second test was conducted to assess the effect of the manufacturing fix. For this test, Toyota retrofitted a redesigned fuel tank into the van. Due to the similarity of results (except for the fuel leak), the evaluation of the Sienna is based on both tests.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled in both tests. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar in both tests.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low in both tests.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the second of two frontal offset crash tests.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after both crash tests indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well (second test shown). .
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the B-pillar and head restraint during rebound in the second test. The head rebounded similarly in the first test. Head accelerations from these hits were low in both tests.
- Intrusion into the driver's space was minimal, and forces on the legs and feet were low in both tests (second test shown).
- Side airbags: head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard in 2006-10 models, optional in 2004-05 models)
- Electronic stability control (standard on 2008-10 models, optional on 2004-07 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Toyota Sienna LE
- Class: Minivan
- Weight: 4,170 lbs.
- Side airbags: head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats with front seat-mounted torso airbags (in van tested first, none in van tested second)
- Wheelbase: 119 in.
- Length: 200 in.
- Width: 77 in.
- Engine: 3.3 L V6
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 27 mpg highway