Honda Civic 4-door2013 models
|2013 Honda Civic 4-door|
SMALL OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Honda Civic was re-engineered for the 2013 model year.
Structure — The driver space was maintained well, with maximum intrusion of the lower interior of 15 cm, and the upper hinge pillar and instrument panel intruded 5-7 cm.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — The dummy’s movement was well controlled. The dummy’s head loaded the frontal airbag, which stayed in front of the dummy until rebound. The side curtain airbag deployed and had sufficient forward coverage to protect the head from contact with side structure and outside objects. The side torso airbag also deployed.
Injury measures — Measures from the dummy indicate that injuries to the left lower leg would be possible in a crash of this severity. (Note: during the test, injury data from the neck were not obtained, but after the Institute reviewed comparable test data from Honda, the head/neck injury risk was rated good.)
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the small overlap frontal crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the door frame, steering wheel, and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- The frontal and side curtain airbags worked well together to keep the head from coming close to any stiff structure or outside objects that could cause injury.
- Forces during the crash contributed to a moderate risk of injury to the dummy's left lower leg.
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2013 Honda Civic LX 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,792 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 105 in.
- Length: 179 in.
- Width: 69 in.
- Engine: 1.8 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 28 mpg city | 39 mpg highway