Toyota Prius v2013 models
|2013 Toyota Prius v|
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Prius v wagon was introduced in the 2012 model year. It is derived from the Toyota Prius but is longer and taller to provide more rear seat room and cargo-carrying capacity. Beginning with 2013 models, design changes were made to the front and rear door trim panels to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes.
Two tests of the Prius v were conducted, one of a 2012 model by the Institute and the other representing a 2013 model by Toyota as part of side crash test verification. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structure ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests. (The car tested by Toyota was designated as a 2012 model but included the front and rear door trim changes of the 2013 models.)
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head pushed past the side curtain airbag and was hit by the window frame of the passenger door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Driver knee airbag: a separate airbag in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2012 Toyota Prius v Three wagon
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,289 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 109 in.
- Length: 182 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 1.8 L 4-cylinder (gasoline) and electric motor
- EPA ratings: 44 mpg city | 40 mpg highway