Chevrolet Malibu2013 models
|2013 Chevrolet Malibu|
SMALL OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Malibu was redesigned for the 2013 model year.
Structure — The driver space was not maintained well. Lower interior intrusion measured as much as 21 cm at the hinge pillar, and the upper hinge pillar and instrument panel intruded 15-18 cm.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — The dummy’s head barely contacted the frontal airbag before sliding off the left side as the steering column moved 14 cm to the right, leaving the head vulnerable to contact with forward structure. Additionally, the seat belt allowed excessive forward excursion of the dummy’s head and torso. The side curtain airbag deployed and had sufficient forward coverage to protect the head from contact with side structure and outside objects.
Injury measures — Measures from the dummy indicate that injuries to the left knee and left lower leg would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the small overlap frontal crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the door frame, steering wheel, and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was not maintained well.
- During the crash, the dummy's head barely contacted the frontal airbag before sliding off to the left as the steering column moved to the right. The seat belt allowed the dummy to move too far forward, as is evident from the gap between the seat back and the dummy's torso.
- Door hinge pillar and instrument panel intrusion contributed to a significant risk of injury to the left knee and a moderate risk to the left lower leg.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2013 models built after July 2012, optional in earlier 2013 models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,579 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 108 in.
- Length: 191 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder (gasoline) and electric motor
- EPA ratings: 25 mpg city | 37 mpg highway