Acura RL1996-2004 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Acura RL was introduced in the 1996 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar and shoulder belt upper anchorage.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck, chest, and left leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the B-pillar, indicating that injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the B-pillar and shoulder belt upper anchorage during rebound, producing a high head acceleration.
- Forces on the lower right leg were high enough to indicate the possibility of injury.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (1999-2004 models)
- Electronic stability control (2000-04 models)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2002 Acura 3.5RL 4-door
- Class: Large luxury car
- Weight: 3,840 lbs.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 115 in.
- Length: 197 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 3.5 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 24 mpg highway