Mercedes C class2010-13 models
|2013 Mercedes C class|
SMALL OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mercedes C class was redesigned for the 2008 model year. Beginning with 2010 models, an airbag for the driver's knees was added to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes.
Structure — The driver's space was seriously compromised by intruding structure. Footwell intrusion measured as much as 32 cm at the footrest and the instrument panel intruded more than 10 cm. The driver dummy's foot was trapped beneath the brake pedal, and the pedal had to be cut off to free the foot.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — The dummy’s head remained in contact with the frontal airbag, but its head still moved toward the intruding A-pillar because the seat belt allowed excessive forward excursion of the dummy's head and torso. The side curtain airbag did not deploy, leaving the dummy's head vulnerable to contact with side structure and outside objects.
Injury measures — Measures from the dummy indicate that injuries to both the left and right lower legs would be likely in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the small overlap frontal crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the door frame, steering wheel, and instrument panel after the crash test, together with the footwell intrusion, indicates that the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
- The seat belt allowed far too much forward movement of the dummy to the extent that its head came close to hitting the intruding A-pillar. The side curtain airbag did not deploy, further adding to injury risk.
- Intrusion into the driver footwell was extensive. The dummy's right foot was trapped by intruding structure and the brake pedal as the left front wheel was forced rearward and inward during the crash. (The tire, painted white for visibility, can be seen just below the dummy's left foot.)
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Driver knee airbag: a separate airbag in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2012 Mercedes-Benz C 250 4-door
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,429 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 109 in.
- Length: 181 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 1.8 L turbocharged 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 31 mpg highway