Lexus ES 3502007-12 models
SMALL OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Lexus ES 350 was redesigned for the 2007 model year.
Structure — The driver space was seriously compromised by intruding structure, as the door hinge pillar was torn away from the door sill during the crash. Lower interior intrusion measured as much as 43 cm at the hinge pillar, and the instrument panel intruded 25-29 cm. The steering column was pushed back 7 cm toward the driver.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — The dummy’s head barely contacted the frontal airbag before sliding off the left side and leaving the head vulnerable to contact with forward side structure. The steering column moved upward 18 cm and 14 cm to the right, contributing to a lack of protection for the head and allowing little airbag cushioning for the chest. The side curtain airbag did not deploy, leaving the dummy's head vulnerable to contact with side structure and outside objects.
Injury measures — Measures from the dummy indicate that injuries to the left knee and left lower leg would be likely in a crash of this severity. Injuries to the left hip would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the small overlap frontal crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the door frame, steering wheel, and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
- During the crash, the steering column moved sharply upward and to the right, leaving the dummy's head and chest unprotected from impact with hard interior surfaces and outside objects.
- Intrusion into the occupant compartment was extensive. The door hinge pillar was torn off from the door sill as the left front wheel was forced rearward during the crash. This intrusion contributed to a high risk of injuries to the left knee and left lower leg, and a significant risk of injury to the left hip.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front amd rear seat-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear seat-mounted torso airbags
- Driver and front passenger knee airbags: separate airbags in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2012 Lexus ES 350 4-door
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,616 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front and rear seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 109 in.
- Length: 192 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 3.5 L V6
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 28 mpg highway