Audi A42009-13 models
|2013 Audi A4|
SMALL OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Audi A4 was redesigned for the 2009 model year. Two tests of the A4 were conducted because, in the first test, the vehicle's electrical system did not deploy the airbags due to a crash test preparation error. As a result, ratings for restraints and dummy kinematics and dummy injuries are based only on the second test. Structural ratings are based on both tests.
Structure — The driver's space was seriously compromised by intruding structure. Footwell intrusion measured as much as 28 cm at the footrest and the instrument panel intruded 25-28 cm. The steering column was pushed back 13 cm toward the driver.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — In the second test, the dummy’s head contacted the frontal airbag but slid off the left side as the steering column moved 18 cm to the right, leaving the head vulnerable to contact with forward structure and resulting in little airbag cushioning for the chest. The side curtain airbag deployed and had sufficient forward coverage to protect the head from contact with side structure and outside objects. The driver door opened during the crash, which shouldn't happen because the driver could be partly or completely ejected from the vehicle.
Injury measures — Measures from the dummy indicate that injuries to the left hip would be likely in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the second of two small overlap frontal crash tests.
- The dummy's position in relation to the door frame, steering wheel, and instrument panel after the crash test indicates the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well (second test with front and side curtain airbag deployment).
- In the second test, the dummy moved to the left and its head slid around the left side of the frontal airbag.
- Extensive intrusion by the instrument panel and footwell contributed a high risk of injury to the dummy's left hip.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2012 Audi A4 2.0T 4-door 2wd
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,521 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 111 in.
- Length: 185 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L turbocharged 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 30 mpg highway