Volkswagen CC2009-13 models
|2013 Volkswagen CC|
SMALL OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Volkswagen CC was introduced in the 2009 model year. The car is a variant of older (2006-10) models of the Volkswagen Passat sedan with a lower roofline, frameless side windows, and a higher price.
Structure — The driver space was not maintained well. Maximum intrusion in the driver’s footwell area was 24 cm measured at the lower hinge pillar. Maximum intrusion in the instrument panel area was 17 cm.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — The dummy’s head barely contacted the frontal airbag before sliding off the left side as the steering column moved 19 cm to the right, leaving the head vulnerable to contact with forward side structure and resulting in little airbag cushioning for the chest. Additionally, the seat belt allowed excessive forward excursion of the dummy’s head and torso. The side curtain airbag did not deploy, leaving the dummy's head vulnerable to contacts with side structure and outside objects. The driver door hinges were torn off and the latch opened, resulting in the door detaching from the vehicle, which shouldn't happen because the driver could be partly or completely ejected from the vehicle.
Injury measures — Measures from the dummy indicate that injuries to the left thigh would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the small overlap frontal crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the door frame, steering wheel, and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
- During the crash, the dummy's head and torso barely contacted the airbag before sliding off to the left, and the seat belt allowed the dummy to move too far forward, as is evident from the gap between the seat back and the dummy's torso.
- Despite extensive intrusion of the door hinge pillar and instrument panel, risk of injury was moderate and limited to the left thigh.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2012 Volkswagen CC Lux Plus 4-door
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,433 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L turbocharged 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 31 mpg highway