Acura TSX sedan2009-13 models
results also apply to: 2011-13 Acura TSX Sport Wagon
|2013 Acura TSX|
SMALL OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Acura TSX was redesigned for the 2009 model year. The small overlap front test ratings also apply to the station wagon version of the TSX, known as the TSX Sport Wagon, beginning with 2011 models.
Two tests of the TSX were conducted because the onboard (car interior) cameras failed during the first test. Also in the first test, the driver side curtain and side thorax airbags deployed, but they did not in the second test. Honda subsequently provided data showing that the side airbags are close to their deployment threshold under the small overlap test conditions. The restraints and dummy kinematics rating is based on the second test. Injury and structural ratings are based on both tests.
Structure — The driver space was not maintained well. The lower part of the door hinge pillar was pushed in toward the driver 23 cm, while the instrument panel intruded as much as 17 cm.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — In the second test, the dummy’s head contacted the frontal airbag but slid off the left side, leaving the head vulnerable to contact with forward side structure. The side curtain airbag did not deploy, also leaving the dummy’s head vulnerable to contact with side structure and outside objects.
Injury measures — Measures from the dummies in the two tests, taken together, indicate that injuries to the left lower leg would be likely in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the second of two small overlap frontal crash tests.
- The dummy's position in relation to the door frame, steering wheel, and instrument panel indicates that the driver's survival space was not maintained well (second test without side airbag deployment).
- In the second test, the dummy’s head contacted the frontal airbag but then slid off the left side as the steering column moved to the right. The side curtain airbag did not deploy.
- Intrusion by the door hinge pillar and instrument panel contributed to a high risk of injury to the dummy's left lower leg.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2012 Acura TSX 4-door
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,478 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted side torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 186 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 31 mpg highway