BMW 3 series2012-13 models
|2013 BMW 3 series|
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The BMW 3 series sedan was redesigned for the 2012 model year. Side ratings are assigned by the Institute based on a test conducted by BMW as part of side crash test verification.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Driver and front passenger knee airbags: separate airbags in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2012 BMW 335i 4-door
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,560 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 111 in.
- Length: 183 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L turbocharged 6-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 33 mpg highway