Scion iQ2012-13 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Scion iQ was introduced in the 2012 model year. Despite its tiny proportions, it has front and rear seats and is capable of carrying 4 people.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with door removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag. The deployed rear window curtain airbag (pink) is visible behind the head restraint.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Driver and front passenger knee airbags: separate airbags in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Seat cushion airbags: separate airbags in the forward portion of the driver and front passenger seat cushions to prevent occupants from sliding under the seat belts in frontal crashes
- Rear window curtain airbag: designed to inflate in rear-end crashes to protect rear seat occupants' heads
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2012 Scion iQ 2-door
- Class: Microcar
- Weight: 2,137 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 79 in.
- Length: 120 in.
- Width: 66 in.
- Engine: 1.3 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 36 mpg city | 37 mpg highway