Toyota Corolla2003 models built before January 2003
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Corolla was redesigned for the 2003 model year.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of the Corolla in two 40 mph frontal offset crash tests into deformable barriers. In the first test, forces on the right tibia were high enough to indicate the possibility of lower leg injury. This led Toyota to modify a portion of the padding underneath the carpeting on models produced after December, 2002. (Note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door.) The Institute tested a second Corolla that had been retrofitted with the improved padding, and forces on the lower right leg were reduced so that significant injury was unlikely.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled in both tests. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag in the first test, it rebounded into the seat without its head hitting any stiff structure that could cause injury.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, chest, and left leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in the first test in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the first of two frontal offset crash tests.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the first crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Dummy movement was well controlled in the first test. During rebound, the dummy's head hit only the head restraint.
- Forces on the lower right leg were high enough to indicate the possibility of injury in the first test.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2003 Toyota Corolla LE 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,597 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 102 in.
- Length: 178 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 1.8 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 29 mpg city | 38 mpg highway