Buick LaCrosse2005-07 models
results also apply to: 2004-08 Pontiac Grand Prix
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Buick LaCrosse was introduced in the 2005 model year as a replacement for both the Buick Century and Regal. (A limited number of Buick Century models were produced for the 2005 model year.) The Pontiac Grand Prix was redesigned for the 2004 model year and was was discontinued after the 2008 model year.
NOTE: In 2006-07 LaCrosse models, side airbags were standard, except in cars sold to fleet buyers that could be ordered without side airbags. Caution: This means that when LaCrosse fleet cars without side airbags are eventually sold, they will be available to retail purchasers. Beginning with 2008 models, side airbags were made standard for retail and fleet buyers.
Side airbags remained optional in all 2004-08 Grand Prix models, and therefore these ratings apply only to Grand Prix models (and 2005-07 LaCrosse models) equipped with the side airbag option.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. A fracture of the pelvis would also be possible, and loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard in 2006-07 LaCrosse models sold to retail buyers)
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (optional in all Grand Prix and 2005 LaCrosse models, optional in 2006-07 LaCrosse models originally sold to fleets)
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional, except standard in 2006-07 LaCrosse models)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Buick LaCrosse CX 4-door
- Class: Large family car
- Weight: 3,505 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear side curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 110 in.
- Length: 198 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 3.8 L V6
- EPA ratings: 20 mpg city | 30 mpg highway