BMW X32011-13 models built after March 2011
|2013 BMW X3|
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The BMW X3 was redesigned for the 2011 model year. Beginning with 2011 models built after March 2011, the computer algorithm that calculates when to deploy the side airbags was optimized to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). Side ratings are assigned by the Institute based on a test conducted by BMW after the changes were made as part of side crash test verification.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front door-mounted torso airbags
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags in the event of an impending rollover
- Driver knee airbag: a separate airbag in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2012 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4wd
- Class: Midsize luxury SUV
- Weight: 4,239 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front door-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 111 in.
- Length: 183 in.
- Width: 74 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L turbocharged 6-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 26 mpg highway