Toyota Prius v2012 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Prius v wagon was introduced in the 2012 model year. It is derived from the Toyota Prius but is longer and taller to provide more rear seat room and cargo-carrying capacity.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head pushed past the side curtain airbag and was hit by the window sill of the passenger door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate. The side airbag didn’t unfurl completely during deployment, which contributed to the head moving outward excessively.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- The side curtain airbag did not unfurl completely, and smeared greasepaint shows that the dummy's head was hit by the window sill (photo taken before rear door removed).
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Driver knee airbag: a separate airbag in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2012 Toyota Prius v Three wagon
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,290 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 109 in.
- Length: 182 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 1.8-liter 4-cylinder (gasoline) and electric motor
- EPA ratings: 44 mpg city | 40 mpg highway