BMW 3 series2000-05 models built after November 1999
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The BMW 3 Series was redesigned for the 1999 model year.
All 2000 and later 3 Series models manufactured after November 1999 include structural changes to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of a BMW 328i with the structural changes in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the roof rail.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity. Head acceleration from the roof rail hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- There was only limited intrusion into the driver footwell area, and injury measures on the legs and feet were low.
- A strong safety cage helped keep the tire out of the driver footwell area, maintaining the integrity of the occupant compartment. Crumpled structure in front of the occupant compartment indicates where much of the crash energy was absorbed.
- Side airbags: front head tubular airbags and front door-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear door-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2000 BMW 328i 4-door
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,347 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear door-mounted torso airbags and front head tubular airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 176 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.8 L 6-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 27 mpg highway