Acura TL1999-2003 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Acura TL was redesigned for the 1999 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, it rebounded into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure that could cause injury.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, chest, and left leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit only the head restraint.
- Forces on the lower right leg were high enough to indicate the possibility of injury.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (2000-03 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional, 2002-03 models)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2002 Acura 3.2TL 4-door
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,475 lbs.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 108 in.
- Length: 193 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 3.2 L V6
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 29 mpg highway