Toyota Camry2002-06 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Camry was redesigned for the 2002 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar and roof rail.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, chest, and left leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible. Head accelerations from the B-pillar and roof rail hits were low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained very well.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the B-pillar, roof rail, and head restraint during rebound. Head accelerations from these hits were low.
- Forces on the lower right leg were high enough to indicate the possibility of injury.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional on 2002-04 models, standard on 2005-06 models)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,276 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 32 mpg highway