Kia Sedona2002-05 models built after March 2002
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Kia Sedona was introduced in the 2002 model year. Kia says it changed the frontal airbag system for 2002-05 models built after March 2002 (see details below). A redesigned Sedona was introduced as a 2006 model.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. There was too much upward steering wheel movement. During rebound, the dummy's head moved partway out the open side window and hit the B-pillar. Also, in a separate 5 mph frontal impact without dummies in the car, both frontal airbags deployed. Such deployments not only are unnecessary in low-speed crashes but also may cause injuries to front-seat occupants positioned too close to the airbags. Note: Kia says it changed the airbag system for 2002 and later models built after March 2002 so that the airbags will no longer deploy in such a low-speed impact. Therefore, the restraints/dummy kinematics rating improves to MARGINAL for the later models.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck, chest, and both legs indicate low risk of injury to these body regions. However, a high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the B-pillar, indicating the possibility of head injury.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- Despite some buckling of the A-pillar and roof rail, the dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- The steering wheel moved upward too much during the crash test.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the B-pillar and shoulder belt anchorage during rebound, producing a high head acceleration.
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2002 Kia Sedona LX
- Class: Minivan
- Weight: 4,665 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 115 in.
- Length: 194 in.
- Width: 75 in.
- Engine: 3.5 L V6
- EPA ratings: 15 mpg city | 20 mpg highway