Nissan Altima2002-06 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Altima was redesigned for the 2002 model year.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of the Altima in two 40 mph frontal offset crash tests into deformable barriers. In the first test, the airbag deployed late. This led Nissan to modify the airbag crash sensors on 2002 models produced after March 15, 2002 plus Nissan has initiated a service campaign to modify the sensors at its cost for the models produced earlier. The Institute tested a second Altima with the modified sensor, and the airbag inflated much earlier. Ratings of the Altima are based on the results of the second test, except structural performance is based on both tests.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled in the second test. The dummy rebounded into the seat without its head hitting any stiff structure that could cause injury. However, the driver's seat pitched forward slightly, tipped toward the door, and moved forward slightly on its inboard track, where the safety belt buckle is anchored.
Injury measures — In the second test, measures taken from the head, neck, chest, and right leg indicate low risk of injury to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the left tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the second of two frontal offset crash tests.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the second crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Dummy movement was well controlled in the second test. During rebound, the dummy's head hit only the head restraint.
- Intrusion into the footwell was somewhat greater in the second test (pictured) than in the first test, and the brake pedal moved much farther to the left.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,150 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 110 in.
- Length: 192 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.5 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 29 mpg highway