Subaru Legacy2000-04 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Subaru Legacy was redesigned for the 2000 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, it rebounded into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure that could cause injury.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right knee indicate that injuries to the knee would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Good control of dummy movement allowed the dummy to rebound into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure that could cause injury.
- A strong safety cage helped keep the tire out of the driver footwell area, maintaining the integrity of the occupant compartment. Crumpled structure in front of the occupant compartment indicates where the crash energy was absorbed.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Built-in child restraints (optional in 2000-01 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional beginning with 2002 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2000 Subaru Legacy L 4-door 4wd
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,298 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 104 in.
- Length: 184 in.
- Width: 69 in.
- Engine: 2.5 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 27 mpg highway