Hyundai Elantra2011-13 models
|2013 Hyundai Elantra|
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Hyundai Elantra was redesigned for the 2011 model year. Two tests of the Elantra were conducted, one by the Institute and the other by Hyundai as part of side crash test verification. Ratings are based on both tests.
Driver — In both tests, measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures from the dummies in the two tests, taken together, indicate that a fracture of the left femur would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — In both tests, the dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof. In the test conducted by Hyundai, the head was also protected by a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — In both tests, the dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the Institute's crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag in the Institute's test.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,760 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 179 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 1.8 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 29 mpg city | 40 mpg highway