Dodge Ram 15002002-05 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Dodge Ram 1500 was redesigned for the 2002 model year. DaimlerChrysler, the manufacturer of the Ram 1500, has told the Institute that the 2006 models are sufficiently re-engineered that the the ratings for 2002-05 models will not carry over.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. The driver's seat tipped toward the B-pillar. The dummy rebounded into the seat without its head hitting any stiff structure that could cause injury.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- Despite buckling of the door sill, the dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit only the head restraint. However, the driver seat moved too much, tipping against the B-pillar.
- Despite intrusion into the left side of the footwell, measures on the dummy's legs and feet indicated low risk of injuries.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional); rear-wheel antilock brakes standard
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (2wd Quad Cab)
- Class: Large pickup
- Weight: 4,969 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 140 in.
- Length: 228 in.
- Width: 80 in.
- Engine: 4.7 L V8
- EPA ratings: 14 mpg city | 19 mpg highway