Subaru Impreza2002-07 models built after September 2001
results also apply to: 2005-06 Saab 9-2X
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Subaru Impreza was redesigned for the 2002 model year. Imprezas manufactured after September 2001 include structural changes to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). The Saab 9-2X was introduced in the 2005 model year and discontinued after the 2006 model year.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of an Impreza with the structural changes in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.
The frontal offset crash test ratings also apply to the station wagon version of the Impreza, beginning with 2002 models manufactured after September 2001. The 9-2X was available only as a wagon.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head brushed the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was negligible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head brushed the B-pillar during rebound. Head acceleration from this hit was negligible.
- There was little change in the position of the dummy's feet following the crash test. Injury risk was low.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (standard beginning with 2006 models; optional, 2004-05 models)
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional, 2002-03 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS 4-door 4wd
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,981 lbs.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 99 in.
- Length: 173 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.5 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 20 mpg city | 28 mpg highway