Nissan Altima2000-01 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Altima was redesigned for the 1998 model year and modified beginning with 2000 models to change airbag characteristics.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. During rebound, the dummy moved toward the driver door, which had bowed outward, and its head approached but did not hit the window sill. Then the head moved up and back and hit the B-pillar. Plus there was too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the left knee indicate that injuries to the knee would be possible. Forces on the right tibia inidcate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible. The dummy's left shin hit a metal plate under the knee bolster, which gashed the vinyl "skin" near the knee. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test -- plus footwell intrusion -- indicate the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
- Smeared red greasepaint shows where the dummy's left shin hit and broke the plastic knee bolster, exposing a sharp edge of the underlying metal plate that gashed the vinyl "skin" just below the knee.
- Close-up of the gash in the vinyl "skin" just below the knee.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,025 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 186 in.
- Width: 69 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 28 mpg highway