Ford Fiesta sedan2011-13 models built after July 2010
results also apply to: 2011-13 Ford Fiesta hatchback built after July 2010
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Fiesta sedan was introduced in the 2011 model year. The side impact crash test ratings also apply to the hatchback version of the Fiesta, also introduced in 2011. Beginning with 2011 models built after July 2010, design changes were made to improve the robustness of the outside door handles to minimize the possibility of the handles starting to activate in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that a left femur fracture would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Driver knee airbag: a separate airbag in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2011 Ford Fiesta SE 4-door
- Class: Minicar
- Weight: 2,608 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 98 in.
- Length: 174 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 1.6 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 29 mpg city | 38 mpg highway