Toyota Highlander2001-07 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Highlander was introduced in the 2001 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the head restraint and then moved forward and grazed the grab handle above the driver door.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the steering wheel through the airbag, indicating that injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Intrusion into the driver footwell area was minimal.
- Forces on the right lower leg were high enough to indicate the possibility of injury.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2007 models, optional in 2001-06 models); front and second row head curtain airbags (standard beginning with 2007 models, optional in 2004-06 models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags in the event of an impending rollover (beginning with 2007 models)
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2004 models, optional on 2001-2003 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2001 Toyota Highlander 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 3,880 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 184 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 22 mpg highway