Pontiac Grand Am1999-2005 models
results also apply to: 1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Pontiac Grand Am was redesigned for the 1999 model year and the Oldsmobile Alero was introduced in the 1999 model year. Note: 2005 model Grand Am sedans were sold as new cars only to fleets and were discontinued altogether after the 2005 model year. The Alero was discontinued after the 2004 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. During rebound, the dummy moved toward the driver door, which had bowed outward, and its head hit the window sill. Then the head moved up and back and hit the B-pillar. Plus there was too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the B-pillar, indicating that injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible. Head acceleration from the window sill hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test -- plus footwell intrusion and door sill crushing -- indicate the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the B-pillar during rebound, producing a high head acceleration.
- Footwell intrusion contributed to the possibility of injury to the lower right leg.
- Antilock brakes (optional on 2003-05 models, standard on 1999-2002 models)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,080 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 186 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 30 mpg highway