Chevrolet Malibu/Classic1997-2005 models
results also apply to: 1997-99 Oldsmobile Cutlass
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Malibu and the Oldsmobile Cutlass were introduced in the 1997 model year. The Cutlass was discontinued after 1999, and the Malibu was renamed the Classic in the 2004 model year. The Classic was discontinued after 2005. Note: 2004-05 Classics were sold as new cars only to fleets.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. During rebound, the dummy moved toward the driver door, which had bowed outward, and its head hit the inside of the door below the window sill. Then the head moved up and back and hit the B-pillar. Plus there was too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible. Head accelerations from the door and B-pillar hits were low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well, although there was too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the dummy's head hit the inside of the door during rebound.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the dummy's head hit the B-pillar during rebound.
- Antilock brakes (optional on 2003-05 models, standard on 1997-2002 models)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,058 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 190 in.
- Width: 69 in.
- Engine: 3.1 L V6
- EPA ratings: 20 mpg city | 29 mpg highway