Hyundai Genesis2010-13 models built after January 2010
|2013 Hyundai Genesis|
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Hyundai Genesis was introduced in the 2009 model year. Beginning with 2010 models built after January 2010, design changes were made to the roof structure and B-pillar to improve occupant protection in rollover and side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
Two tests of the modified 2010 Genesis were conducted, one by the Institute and the other by Hyundai as part of side crash test verification. Ratings are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures from the dummies in the two tests, taken together, indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — In both tests, measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — In both tests, the dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — In the Institute's test (view obscured in Hyundai's test), the dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the Institute's crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags in the Institute's test.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbags.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front and rear seat-mounted torso airbags
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4-door
- Class: Large luxury car
- Weight: 3,822 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front and rear seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 116 in.
- Length: 196 in.
- Width: 74 in.
- Engine: 3.8 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 27 mpg highway