Mercedes E class 4-door2010-13 models built after April 2010
|2013 Mercedes E class 4-door|
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH STANDARD BUT WITHOUT ADDITIONAL OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mercedes E class was redesigned for the 2010 model year. Beginning with 2010 models built after April 2010, design changes were made to the front and rear door trim to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags in the event of an impending rollover
- Driver knee airbag: a separate airbag in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Automatically adjusting head restraints in front seats move up or down as seats are adjusted forward or rearward
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Programmable daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2010 Mercedes-Benz E 350 4-door
- Class: Large luxury car
- Weight: 3,880 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 113 in.
- Length: 192 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 3.5 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 26 mpg highway