Audi A61998-2004 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Audi A6 was redesigned for the 1998 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. After moving forward into the airbag, the dummy rebounded into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure that could cause injury. There was too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on both tibias indicate that injuries to the lower legs would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well, although there was too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the dummy's head hit the head restraint after rebounding from the airbag. The good dummy motion throughout the crash was marred only by excessive upward movement of the steering wheel.
- Intrusion contributed to the possibility of injury to both lower legs.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags; front and rear head curtain airbags added (standard, 2001-04 models; optional, 2000 models); rear door-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control (standard on 2002-04 models, optional on 2000-01 models)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1999 Audi A6 Quattro 4-door 4wd
- Class: Large luxury car
- Weight: 3,766 lbs.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 109 in.
- Length: 192 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 2.8 L V6
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 26 mpg highway