Chevrolet Colorado crew cab2010-12 models
results also apply to: 2010-12 GMC Canyon crew cab | 2006-08 Isuzu i-series
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon were introduced in the 2004 model year as replacements for the Chevrolet S-10 and GMC Sonoma. Side airbags became standard beginning with 2010 models (they had been optional in 2004-09 models). Structure ratings are based on this test and on an earlier test of a 2008 Colorado model without side airbags.
These side impact crash test ratings also apply to the Isuzu i-series pickup, which was introduced in the 2006 model year, because crew cab models had standard side airbags. The i-series was discontinued after the 2008 model year.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries plus a fracture of the pelvis would be likely in a crash of this severity. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The side curtain airbag adequately covered the window opening near the dummy's head during deployment, but the head then moved outward and downward into near proximity with the intruding barrier. Although the barrier did not hit the dummy's head in this test, this near miss indicates that only slightly different crash circumstances could produce a direct hit to a person's head.
Rear passenger — The side curtain airbag did not deploy properly, and the dummy's head was hit by the window frame of the rear passenger door and the pillar behind the door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head leaning outward below the side curtain airbag and approaching the crash test barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was struck by the window frame and pillar behind the rear passenger door despite the deployment of the side curtain airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard beginning with 2010 models, optional in 2004-09 Colorado and Canyon models, standard in 2006-08 i-series crew cab models)
- Electronic stability control, includes roll stability control (beginning with 2009 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2010 Chevrolet Chevrolet Colorado LT (2wd crew cab)
- Class: Small pickup
- Weight: 3,847 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 126 in.
- Length: 207 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 3.7 L 5-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 23 mpg highway