Nissan Frontier2010-11 models
results also apply to: 2009-11 Suzuki Equator
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Frontier was redesigned for the 2005 model year and is significantly larger and heavier than previous models. Side airbags became standard beginning with 2010 models (they had been optional in 2005-09 models). The Suzuki Equator was introduced in the 2009 model year with standard side airbags. Structure ratings are based on this test and on an earlier test of a 2008 Frontier model without side airbags.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard in Equator and 2010-11 Frontier models, optional in 2005-09 Frontier models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control (standard on 2010-11 models except those with 4-cylinder engines, optional on 2005-09 4-wheel-drive models only)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2010 Nissan Frontier SE (2wd Crew Cab)
- Class: Small pickup
- Weight: 4,279 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 126 in.
- Length: 206 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 4.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 15 mpg city | 20 mpg highway