Dodge Durango1998-2003 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Dodge Durango was introduced in the 1998 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. As the dummy moved into the airbag, its torso went under and to the left of the bag. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar. There was far too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, chest, and right leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the left tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be likely. Forces on the foot were high enough to damage the dummy's steel "foot bone," indicating that injuries to the left foot would be likely. Forces on the left femur indicate that injuries to the upper leg would be possible. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- Despite some buckling of the roof rail and door sill, the dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- Very high forces on the dummy's left foot twisted the steel "bone" inside its foot (before impact this "bone" was flat).
- Intrusion near the footrest contributed to the likelihood of left leg or foot injury.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (optional, beginning with 2002 models).
- Rear-wheel antilock brakes (standard)
- 4-wheel antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1999 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,844 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 116 in.
- Length: 194 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 5.2 L V8
- EPA ratings: 13 mpg city | 17 mpg highway