Mercedes M class1999-2005 models built after March 1999
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mercedes M class was introduced in the 1998 model year. All M class models manufactured after March 1999 include structural changes to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of a 1999 ML 320 with the structural changes in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.
A redesigned M class has been introduced for the 2006 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, chest, and legs indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the neck indicate that injuries to the neck would be possible. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- The passenger airbag didn't deploy because a sensor detected that the right front seat wasn't occupied. This airbag also doesn't deploy if a specially designed child seat is used.
- Intrusion into the driver footwell area was minimal.
- Side airbags: front door-mounted torso airbags; rear door-mounted torso airbags (beginning with 2000 models); front and rear head curtain airbags (beginning with 2002 models)
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (dealer programmable, beginning with 2003 models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1999 Mercedes ML 320 4wd
- Class: Midsize luxury SUV
- Weight: 4,445 lbs.
- Side airbags: front door-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 111 in.
- Length: 181 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 3.2 L V6
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 21 mpg highway