Volvo XC602010-13 models
|2013 Volvo XC60|
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Volvo XC60 was introduced in the 2010 model year.
During the test, the lower side seat trim was pushed against a service release button for the safety belt, which then detached from its anchor on the outboard side of the driver's seat. Although there was no unusual movement of the dummy, the dummy was not restrained during part of the crash event. Volvo has addressed the problem on models built after November 2009 and is issuing a recall to fix the belts on cars built earlier.
Cars built before the fix and subsequently not repaired would be rated only Acceptable and would not be eligible for TOP SAFETY PICK status.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- The driver dummy's head (shown) was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags. The rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side curtain airbag.
- During the crash, the lap portion of the driver dummy's lap/shoulder belt detached from its anchorage near the door and moved into the passenger's seat. Volvo is conducting a recall to fix the seat belt anchorage.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags in the event of an impending rollover
- Built-in child restraints (optional)
- Electronic stability control, includes roll stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2010 Volvo XC60 3.2 4wd
- Class: Midsize luxury SUV
- Weight: 4,176 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 109 in.
- Length: 182 in.
- Width: 74 in.
- Engine: 3.2 L 6-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 16 mpg city | 22 mpg highway