Kia Sephia/Spectra1998-2004 models built before December 2003
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Kia Sephia was redesigned for the 1998 model year. The Spectra was introduced for the 2000 model year as a hatchback version of the Sephia. Beginning with 2002 models, the Sephia name was replaced by the Spectra for both sedan and hatchback models.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. During rebound, the dummy moved toward the driver door. Its head went part of the way out the open window and hit the B-pillar. There was too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the chest indicate low risk of injuries to this body region in a crash of this severity. Forces on the head indicate that injuries to the head would be likely. A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the B-pillar, indicating that further injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on both tibias indicate that injuries to the lower legs would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The driver's upper interior survival space was maintained reasonably well. However, there was too much upward movement of the steering wheel and too much intrusion into the driver footwell area.
- A high head injury measure occurred when the dummy interacted with the airbag, indicating the possibility of injury.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the B-pillar during the offset test. The head acceleration was high, indicating the possibility of injury.
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1999 Kia Sephia 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,593 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 101 in.
- Length: 174 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 1.8 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 31 mpg highway