Kia Forte2010 models built after June 2009 and before November 2009
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Kia Forte was introduced in the 2010 model year as a replacement for the Kia Spectra. Beginning with 2010 models built after June 2009, design changes were made to the rear door structure to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
Because of deficiencies identified in this test, Kia made additional changes beginning with 2010 models built after October 2009. A second car with the additional modifications was tested, and the side impact crash performance improved (the second car is rated separately).
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The side curtain airbag did not adequately cover the window opening near the dummy's head during deployment, and the side airbag that deployed from the seat did not fill the gap. Although the intruding barrier did not hit the dummy's head in this test, this near miss indicates that only slightly different crash circumstances could produce a direct hit to a person's head.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head leaning outward below the side curtain airbag and approaching the crash test barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2010 Kia Forte EX 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,815 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 104 in.
- Length: 178 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 25 mpg city | 34 mpg highway