Dodge Neon2000-05 models
results also apply to: 2003-05 Dodge SRT-4 | 2000-01 Plymouth Neon
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Dodge and Plymouth Neon were redesigned for the 2000 model year. The Plymouth Neon was dropped after the 2001 model year, and the high-performance Dodge SRT-4 model was added in the 2003 model year. Both the Dodge Neon and SRT-4 were dropped after the 2005 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. As the dummy moved into the airbag, it also moved toward the driver door, which had bowed outward, and its head approached but didn't hit the window sill. There was too much rearward movement of the steering column, and during the impact the steering wheel broke off from the column.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the left femur indicate that injuries to the upper leg would be likely. Forces on both tibias indicate that injuries to lower legs would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The driver's survival space wasn't maintained well. There was too much rearward movement of the instrument panel and steering column plus too much intrusion into the footwell area.
- Rearward movement of the instrument panel contributed to the high forces on the dummy's left femur.
- During the impact the steering wheel broke off from the column.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (optional on 2001-05 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2000 Dodge Neon 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,659 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 105 in.
- Length: 174 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 25 mpg city | 31 mpg highway