Lexus GS1999-2005 models built after November 1998
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Lexus GS was redesigned for the 1998 model year. All 1999 and later GS models manufactured after November 1998 include structural changes to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes. (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of a GS 400 with the structural changes in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the roof rail.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the left knee indicate that injuries to the knee would be possible. Head acceleration from roof rail hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the dummy's head hit the roof rail during rebound.
- Intrusion into the driver footwell was minimal.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags; front head curtain airbags added on 2001-05 models
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1999 Lexus GS 400 4-door
- Class: Large luxury car
- Weight: 3,805 lbs.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 110 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 4.0 L V8
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 24 mpg highway