Chevrolet Cobalt 2-door2009-10 models built after May 2009
results also apply to: 2009 Pontiac G5 built after May 2009
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Cobalt was introduced in the 2005 model year, and the Pontiac G5 (available only as a 2-door) was introduced in the 2007 model year. Beginning with 2008 models, side airbags were made standard (they were optional in 2005-07 models). The Pontiac G5 was discontinued after the 2009 model year and the Cobalt after the 2010 model year.
Starting with 2009 models manufactured after May 2009, the side curtain airbags of the 2-door models were modified to improve occupant protection in side-impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). The tested car was manufactured after the modifications had been made.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious head injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with door removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard in 2008-10 models, optional in 2005-07 Cobalt models and 2007 G5 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional in 2008-10 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,802 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 181 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.2 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 24 mpg city | 33 mpg highway