Chevrolet Cobalt 2-door2005-10 models
results also apply to: 2007-09 Pontiac G5
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Cobalt was introduced in the 2005 model year, and the Pontiac G5 (available only as a 2-door) was introduced in the 2007 model year. The Pontiac G5 was discontinued after the 2009 model year and the Cobalt after the 2010 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the roof rail after first contacting the head restraint.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible. Head acceleration from the roof rail hit was negligible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the roof rail and head restraint during rebound. Head accelerations from these hits were negligible.
- Forces on the lower right leg were high enough to indicate the possibility of injuries.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard in 2008-10 models, optional in 2005-07 Cobalt models and 2007 G5 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional on 2008-10 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,798 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 181 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.2 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 24 mpg city | 33 mpg highway