Nissan Quest1999-2002 models
results also apply to: 1999-2002 Mercury Villager
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Quest and the Mercury Villager were re-engineered for the 1999 model year to include a fourth door and increase the size of the cargo area.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. There was far too much rearward and upward movement of the steering wheel, which contributed to the dummy's head bottoming out the airbag and hitting the steering wheel. During rebound, the dummy moved toward the driver door, and its head hit the window sill.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the steering wheel through the airbag, indicating that injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on both tibias indicate injuries to the lower left leg would be likely and injuries to the lower right leg would be possible. Head acceleration from the window sill hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates major intrusion into the driver's survival space.
- The dummy's head hit the window sill during rebound from the airbag.
- Extensive intrusion into the driver footwell contributed to high forces on the dummy's left leg.
- Built-in child restraints (optional on all Quest models and 1999 Villager models)
- Antilock brakes (standard on Quest models, optional on Villager models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1999 Nissan Quest GXE
- Class: Minivan
- Weight: 3,982 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 112 in.
- Length: 195 in.
- Width: 75 in.
- Engine: 3.3 L V6
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 24 mpg highway