Chevrolet Silverado 15002007-09 models
results also apply to: 2007-09 GMC Sierra 1500
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 were redesigned for the 2007 model year. Two tests of a 2009 Silverado 1500 were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Serious neck injuries would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (optional)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover (beginning with 2008 models)
- Electronic stability control, includes roll stability control (standard on crew cabs, optional on extended cabs, and optional on regular cabs beginning with 2009 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2009 Chevrolet Silverado LT 1500 (2wd crew cab)
- Class: Large pickup
- Weight: 5,176 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 144 in.
- Length: 230 in.
- Width: 80 in.
- Engine: 5.3 L V8
- EPA ratings: 14 mpg city | 20 mpg highway