Nissan Titan2010-11 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Titan was introduced in the 2004 model year. Two tests of a 2009 Titan were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests. Beginning with 2010 models, the side airbags were made standard.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity, and a fracture of the pelvis would be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The side curtain airbag did not cover the entire window opening during deployment, and the dummy's head continued to move outward after it was contacted by the side airbag. Although the intruding barrier did not hit the dummy's head in this test, the head was not protected from contacts outside the vehicle.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Because the side curtain airbag did not fully cover the window opening, the dummy's head continued to move outward during the crash.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2010 models, optional in 2004-09 models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2010 models, optional on 2004-09 models)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2009 Nissan Titan SE (2wd Crew Cab)
- Class: Large pickup
- Weight: 5,210 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags and optional front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 140 in.
- Length: 225 in.
- Width: 80 in.
- Engine: 5.6 L V8
- EPA ratings: 13 mpg city | 17 mpg highway