Dodge Ram 15002009-12 models built after September 2008 and before February 2012
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Dodge Ram 1500 was redesigned for the 2009 model year. Beginning with 2009 models manufactured after September 2008, the front door trim panels were modified to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the vehicle on or near the driver door).
Beginning with models manufactured after January 2012, the side airbags were modified, so the listed ratings do not apply to trucks built after this date.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The side curtain airbag did not deploy properly, and the dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- During the test, the side curtain airbag failed to cover the entire window opening, and smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear door and the dislodged roof trim. (The unpadded steel window frame, directly above the dummy's head in this photo, was pulled away from the occupant compartment, and did not hit the dummy's head.)
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags
- Electronic stability control, includes roll stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional on fleet vehicles only)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (2wd Crew Cab)
- Class: Large pickup
- Weight: 5,152 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 140 in.
- Length: 228 in.
- Width: 79 in.
- Engine: 4.7 L V8
- EPA ratings: 14 mpg city | 19 mpg highway